82 Rabbit warning lights comming on

have two warning lights comming on one is the oil light, the other is in the middle of the temp gauge. Believe they are both sending unit problems.Want to know which ones they are, where they are, and part numbers so I can replace the wright ones.

Reply to
gsac

oil light on-do a oil pressure test

coolant light on- coolant level, overheat, faulty gauge.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

While you could be right, but since they both may be indications of the same problem and they involve different sensors, I think I would think they are for real and I would be worried about possible damage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Sometimes using the wrong oil can cause the oil pressure light to turn on. I had to use 20w50 on my 1984 or the pressure light would turn on. Pressure guage to confirm after you make sure the correct oil is in the engine.

Sending usints ar on the head and on the oil filter housing. The pressure switches have different values. The oil temp and water temp sensors also have different values. The values are writen on the switches and sensors. They may not be correct but you have to report back with what values you have, what oil you are using and what your pressure guage reads for more help.

Reply to
Jim Behning

x2. I haven't yet reached this point with my Mk2 GTI but older VWs (Mk1 and Mk2s usually) as they age usually lose a little bit of oil pressure (where I don't know...maybe a slowly dying oil pump) and it'll get to the point that anything less than 20W50 will trigger the oil pressure warning. Being this is the beginning of summer, use 20W50, see if it works (probably will), and revisit the issue again when the weather cools in the fall (although I run

20W50 all year although being in SoCal I don't see temperatures lower than about 45F overnight myself anyway).
Reply to
Matt B.