Audi 5000 Stereo Wiring Question

Hi: For some reason I can't post to the Audi newsroup so I thought I would try it here. I recently was given an 86 audi 5000. I'm trying to install a new stereo (with a CD). The wiring has me a little confused. I've managed to figure out all of the speakers and the hot wire (connected to the read defroster--go figure), but can't figure out severl wires and/or get the unit to power up.

Specifically, does anyone know which wire would be the ground (there is a black wire off the old unit in the harness, but it connects to a brown lead).

Also, there is a yellow wire that runs into a small black box that contains a fuse and a small transformer. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a wire to keep juice flowing to keep the station-memory powered up?

There are alos a few other wires and a "U" shapped plug?

anyone have any idea or thoughts where I could find a wiring diagram with color coded explanations?

I have the Chiltons for the 86 but is no help.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Hondoman

Given, as in FREE, you still paid too much. Sorry couldn't resist that. Brown wires are always ground for VW & Audi.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Great. Thanks Woodchuck. At this point I've paid more for the stereo than for the car, so I'm doing ok. However, I'm not paying to fix the roof or the rear window becaue at that point I've spent more than the blue book value. Thanks again.

If anyone has any idea what the yellow wire gizmo is that would be great. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Hondoman

What is the Voltage coming off of it? It could be the accesory line or a constant supply line, or maybe even the variable voltage line (from the dimmer switch) that control display intensity at night. I'd think it would be a constant line to maintain power to the radio, hence the fuse.

Have you figured out the antenna and all the speakers? After that there isn't all that much left except for a ground and the power inputs.... Unless your car has an amp or a cd changer (or at least the wiring for one... but in 1986 I would doubt it - never know tho).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Ah, you have very good outlook on life and car!

Reply to
Woodchuck

According to my Mitchell book for an '86 500S:

Red-Blue (30) = Power, from fuse #4 (Always hot) Gray-Blue (58) = Illumination, from instrument panel dimmer Brown (31) = Ground White (RA) = Warning Buzzer and power antenna activation [and as I recall also turned on the power for the amplifier built into the rear speakers]

There was never a yellow originally, somebody probably added that after the fact, probably for a newer radio that needed to go also to the ignition switch. The "Transformer" you describe is probably a torroid for noise reduction, the radio in the '86 5000 I used to have was VERY susceptible to fuel pump noise especially on AM.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

Thanks Fred.

I've determined that the yellow is indeed a constant power supply, and the black box is a noise suppressor to eliminate any interference to the stereo from the engine. I got this car from my mom who is the original owner. She had the stereo stolen 4 times, so most likley the yellow wire and gizmo was added at some point to reflect the needs of the new stereo.

Thanks also for the "Gray-Blue (58) = Illumination, from instrument panel dimmer" information. At some point in this process my isntrument panel display went dark and I figured I had yanked out a wire somewhere. Most likely the problem is the gray-blue wire you mention, above as that has probably been cut in the process. I will play around with those.

Overall the wires are in pretty good shape--no dry rot, etc. and the old stereo did have a wiring harness. I needed to replace it since it was a cass only and only the left channel worked.

Reply to
Hondoman