auto soundproofing

I am in the process of researching for the best soundproofing materials and advice for my vehicle. Am aiming for quieting all the road and muffler noise. Have any of you folks done this with your vehicles, and if so, what and how did you go about it. This may make for interesting discussion as we all enjoy great music in these rolling soundrooms. :)>

Reply to
jettaman8691

Well, Dynamat seems to be the standard but it's not cheap. Here's one site I was looking at for some less expensive ideas:

Initially I was planning to just apply it on the "trunk" floor, the inside of the rear fenders, under the rear seat and maybe under the carpet of the rear passenger floor of my 95 Golf.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

When my wife and I put the interior back together in her Jetta after the VR6 swap, we put down a "sound proof padding" (with foil!) that I picked up at Pep Boys for like $10 a roll. Two rolls were needed. This stuff looks like it was made from link pulled out of random pockets at the laundry matt, and it has a silver foil on 1 side. Easy to cut with a sharp knife.

The seats and carpet were out of the car, we cut and glued the padding everywhere, you can see it peaking out from under the carpet in a few places if you look under the front seats. I also put it on the sheet metal that is behind the backrest of the rear seat (which make putting the back rest back on a hassle).

The results were worth the effort big time, it really did cut down a lot of road noise. Now windnoise is the big problem on that car and I'll address that down the road after a paint job is sprayed on.

Reply to
Pencilneck