Awful Customer Service

I guess that's true -- and I'd also say that this is true of almost any other brand you'd care to name. It's all dependent on the personalities involved at the individual dealerships.

Reply to
Brian Running

D&LBusch

correction 1yr/12k miles. I bet you will get a refund in time. Keep fighting'

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

correction 1yr/12k miles. I bet you will get a refund in time. Keep fighting'

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
none2u

Reply to
none2u

I agree...and love the term asshat (nice touch!!)

Going back over 20 years VW's approach has always been deny, deny, deny...and then come around only if you attack like a pitbull.

I like the cars, and fix a lot myself, but have never felt good about how I was treated. My Dad bought his first VW in 1960 and says that he always hated the dealers as well. They just seems to feel the need to jerk people around.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Speaking generically ( not specifically about VWs), the reason I see most rotor warping is improper torqueing of the lug nuts. Don't EVER let any asshole with an impact wrench, even if he is using torque stix or other torque limiting device, near your lugnuts. It should be done by hand no matter what the tire shops tell you.

I have had this happen twice after having my tires rotated. Takes me a while to learn.

A lot of rotors are thinner now than they used to be. That can be one of the issues.

As far as pads dragging, all pads ride on the surface of the rotor. They never really retract like drum brake shoes do. But you are correct in that a sticking caliper slide or piston can and will cause oveheating and premature failure.

I think 24000 miles is a bit soon for caliper slides to be fouled, but anything can happen. Ditto piston sticking.

Reply to
<HLS

Yes on all of the above. It's happened to me too. Calipers can go bad and stick in the front and in the back. You can usually smell after driving the car and doing a walk around "sniff". The parking brakes became a better design on the A3s but they still stick and rip rotors. While my car was still under warranty, I had to replace the same rear right caliper and rotor twice, once for sticking caliper and then once for a sticking brake. The sticking brake was a new caliper. The over torquing lugs will warp a rotor but it won't damage it. You will just get a funny wobble when you hit the brakes light. There is also a pulsing in the brake peddle.

It's not that the rotors are thinner, the cars are getting heavier and VW is still using the same spec hardware since the A1s in some respects.

Reply to
Peter Parker