axle on Passat

I've got the 6 bolts out of the differential flange on the driver's side cv joint (96 passat glx, 01M auto trans.) but the bugger won't separate. I think it's rusted on. I've tapped it a bit with a sledge, but I'm a little nervous about whacking too hard because I don't want to damage the axle or CV.

Any tricks to getting it off of the flange? Just haul off and give it a good slug?

Reply to
starburst

replace two bolts across from each other enough so when it releases the cvj & axle stays in place and things don't get dirty, Whack the cvj with a dead blow hammer , or a block of wood and a sledge. I put plastic bags over both the diff. flange and the cvj and fasten with a plastic wire tie zip strip. Keeps both you and it cleaner.

Reply to
samstone