Bad sparkplug wires or plugs

After not starting my '99 passat (1.8T) for 2 weeks, the check engine light came on after I started it up again. After about 30 miles the light went off. Checked the error codes and that said: Bad sparkplug wires or plugs.

Is this normal after 2 weeks, or should I look into it before things get worse?

Thanks!

Reply to
Baudolino

No.

Most likely the wires are getting old and porous, the longer the car sits the more water is absorbed by the wires...

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Well, seeing as how you don't have plug wires, I'd say you can rule that out. Next, you will have the bolt on Beru coils and they rarely go bad. However, the switching module (located on top of the air filter box) could be failing. Most of the time cyclinder #2 will start to misfire.

The good news, if that is the problem, it is a really simple item to swap out. The bad news is the part cost $270-ish.

Reply to
Pencilneck

Thanks! Since it happened only once so far, I'll wait with replacing parts, and just remember this in case things get worse.

Reply to
Baudolino