2000 Passat 1.8 turbo rough idle

We have had a 2000 Passat 1.8 turbo for 6 months now. A couple of months ago it started to idle rough when put into gear. Took it to
the local Bremerton VW dealer. Cost me $78 to learn that you never take your car in for repairs without a check engine light on ? 3 weeks later a check engine light came on. $500 later, front O2 sensor and a combination valve, and the car still idles rough when put into gear and when coming to a stop. The dealer supposidly did the 40000 mile check up before I bought this car. Im wondering if new spark plugs and wires are in order or is there some fancy switch or solenoid gone bad somewhere. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.
What do you mean by rough? They all have some roughness at idle. Will plugs help, don't think so since a 40K should include them. Plug wires-your engine has none, has 4 coils ontop of plugs.

Thanks for the quick reply woodchuck. The idle varies from 800 1000 after putting the car in gear and when coming to a stop. This is very disturbing. We drove a 2004 Passat with the 1.8 turbo and its idle never fluctuated when in gear. Both of these vehicles have automatic transmissions. Could one of the coil packs be bad. Is there a fuel filter somewhere that I could change. Where can I buy new spark plugs online ? Whats the spark plug gap ? I guess I need to find a more reputable dealer ?
On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 16:47:47 -0500, "Woodchuck"

I also had one more question. When this car is first started in the morning the turbo sound like a jet engine starting up for a minute or so. Is this normal ? Thanks again for any replies.

Thanks for the tip. I sprayed throttle body cleaner inside the throttle body and wiped it clean with a soft cloth and it fixed the rough idle problem.