Blinkers on the Blink: 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T

Looking for some insight and or experience with improperly functioning directionals - more specifically, a continuous 'blinking' sound when signals are not engaged. Thank you in advance for your insight.

Reply to
John Fernandez

Did one of the kids push the hazard-light button while you weren't looking?

Charles

Reply to
Charles DH Williams

If it's still under warranty, let the dealer deal with it. You don't want to tackle electrical if you don't have to.

Reply to
Matt B.

As an mechatronics (mechanical/electronics/electrical) electrician, i'll second that opinion... Electrical, especially on cars should be left in trained hands, it's so easy to mess up and when not dealing with just the

12V in cars, it's easy to be seriously injured/killed.
Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yep...and why bother when for free it can be someone else's problem :)

Reply to
Matt B.

Where does the sound come from within the car?

Reply to
Woodchuck

I had/have the same problem. I replaced the hazard switch and that didn't fix it so now I will replace the turn signal stalk on the steering column. And yes I'm well past warranty on my '02 at 171,343 miles.

Reply to
Don & Sheri Jones

over 171K miles on an '02?!?!?

Reply to
Matt B.

Damn! Do you commute to work in South America or something?

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

Your message is dead on. I visited the dealer this morning and after initial trouble shooting they (first) repaired/replaced the 'relay' behind the hazard switch - which didn't fix it. They have ordered the signal stalk for me which should arrive in two days. And we thought

53K on our '02 was a lot! Thanks (to everyone) for your insight.
Reply to
John Fernandez