Suspension upgrade, 95 Passat

It's time for struts on my '95 Passat GLX, and I want to upgrade some from OEM. I of course want to improve the handling, but considering my use and some of the roads I have to drive, I do not want to lower the car, and although I am willing to sacrifice some of the ride, I don't want a harsh or overly stiff ride. I am looking for reduced body roll and increased steering response.

Any suggestions? Upgrade cartriges only? New springs ( and to what) different sway bars, poly bushings? or what?

Thanks!

(BTW, 118,000 miles)

Reply to
ron.dame

I just bought new Koni shocks for my 99.5 Golf, and they made a nice difference... The ride is stiffer, but it doesn't bounce up and down anymore... and it's not really any more harsh, it's just stiffer... Ride comfort went UP i'd say!

The shocks are adjustable, I have the softest setting on the rears and one half turn above soft on the fronts, this is what my installer considered "optimal for my requests" - I wanted a smoother ride over wavy pavement, less body lean in turns, better control on the highway, but doing 40K a year I didn't want to break my spine. He said with new springs and those shocks cranked up he could have my car hammering like crazy over bumps if I wanted that (ie, track use only mode).

$900cnd for parts, plus labour... So around $1350 with taxes and full alignment/install/inspection of car/test drives of car/diagnostic time etc...

Reply to
Rob Guenther