Body Trim Keeps Falling Off

Hi.

I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta, every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??

Reply to
Warren Abrey

Frank

Go to a parts store such as NAPA and ask them for a quality cement. I've used it (comes in a tube) on my Buick, and the trim has stayed in place for over 3 years, even after running the car through a car wash numerous times. Make sure you get the right kind. It is called 3M Superweatherstrip Adhesive.

Reply to
Papa

You need to buy the VHB tape from 3m, the stuff at the store won't last. I redid all the trim on my 95 Golf, but first I removed ALL the old tape residue, socked the pieces in the bath tub in hot water to removed all the dirt and sticky stuff....then buy some 3m VHB tape I believe it's number 4930. The stuff is expensive but works well since it is professional grade.

Reply to
John

Warren Abrey wrote: : Hi.

: I have one piece of the rubber trim that keeps falling off my 96 jetta, : every few weeks I buy more trim tape, clean both surfaces with rubbing : alcohol and put it back on... What am I doing wrong??

I got the grey 3m "heavy duty outdoors" tape to reattach nearly all the trim on my 86 GTI as it was all falling off... It's been 2 years now and, knock on wood, it's still good...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

I used Goop adhesive. It cures in a day or three. I used a ratchet strap around the door to hold boards against the strip to keep the strip in place.

That tape is going to be faster and probably neater. The Goop was easier for me, including buying it at Home Depot. I did not clean the strip perfectly, tho I did pick off some old adhesive and wipe with solvent beforehand. The Goop held where some earlier tries did not.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Listen to Papa (this is usually good advice (;^D)).

The 3M adhesive (not tape) will last a long time. Be sure to clean everything well.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Reply to
Nevermind