Brake booster leak in 2000 Golf GLS 2.0L

The break fluid has been disappearing without any sign of external leakage. Took the car to a dealer and was told that the break booster is leaking and needs to be replaced. I was quoted $902 for the job by the dealer. The car is 300 miles out of extended warranty so it looks like I will have to fork it.

Has anybody had this issue to deal with? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Vityok

Reply to
vityok

VWofA used to allow repairing something under warranty that is a known problem. Sometimes you can do a 50/50 payment, you pay 50%, they pay 50% if you are just out of warranty just to keep you happy as a customer.

This doesn't sound like a very common problem.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I agree with PP. Yes its bound to happen sooner or later.....

Anyway not very common failure. I had VW in the early ninties replace a couple of large items after my warranty on their dime, but it was because they couldnt get my car in the last week of my warranty and I bitched to the Sales Manager....

I replaced the booster on one of my Jettas, and not sure what yours is like, but it basically is a simple re and re on mine, the only things to watch were the brake lines which tend to get cracked at 9:30 on a Sunday night. You remove the lines, then the resevoir, then the booster, which if I do recall was bolted from the inside, and the pedal assembly and then you have a big hold through the firewall, and you re-assemble from Z to A.

900 seems high, but it may be one of those jobs on a VW much like my heater core that isnt hard, just time consuming and no one want to get into doing it...

my two cents

Reply to
John

I'm sure the brake fluid has been disappearing for more than the last

300 miles, so my question which may sound dumb, is: Why did you wait until the warranty was up b4 taking the car in?
Reply to
Biz

Call VWoA and see if they will help you out in some way?

Reply to
Woodchuck