96 Jetta

I have a 96 Jetta with 137K miles on it. It's been a solid performer since I bought it approximately 40K miles ago.

It's developed a strange noise.

When I lock or unlock the doors using the remote key entry, there is a knocking noise in the trunk for approximately 15 - 30 seconds. It sounds like a motor running.

Any ideas for things to check would be appreciated.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Taylor

not familiar with VW's that new, but on some of the late 80s/early 90s models the central locking was controlled by a vacuum pump located in the trunk. Perhaps your car uses a similar system and the noise you are hearing is related to the vacuum motor.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thanks Nate. Funny, you say you are not familiar with anything that new, and I think of this car as old. Guess everything is relative.

I have confirmed that the noise is coming from the trunk on the drivers side close to the back. Is it a simple matter of replacing the pump?

Thanks, Terry

Reply to
Terry Taylor

Its not bad. It just has a leak.

It should run for 2 or 3 seconds and stop. It it runs more, there is a leak somewhere. There is a hose going to every door and the break at the bends.

Reply to
Eduardo K.