Car runs on without key

On my 97 Jetta eco diesel, I went to shut off my car and it just kept running. The rpm dropped a bit and all the electronics shut off. I changed the igniting switch but it didn't help. I was thinking it may be the shut off valve. Thanks Paul

Reply to
popyseed

You are thinking right. It may also be drawing oil from the crankcase. At least in the older diesels there was a possibility of pulling oil through a defective part. Of course that would drop the oil level rather quickly so you should be able to check for that quickly.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I didn't know VW made ECOdiesels in 1997?

Anyway, good luck finding the problem.

Reply to
Peter Parker

It's either a typo or it's a Canadian model (the 1.9TD up there was more or less the later/bigger version of the ECOdiesel). The TDI was also offered from '96 on.

Reply to
Matt B.

I had a 97 Jetta TD (not TDI) which I got in early November 96. The TDI didn't arrive until the spring of 97 in Canada, much later in the model year.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

It has to be a typo. ECOdiesels were not 1.9L engines. Besides, 1997 models were A3s go figure, TDI, TD or maybe SDI, not ECOdiesel. I always thought the ECOdiesel was only a 1.6L.

Reply to
Peter Parker