Cdn owners: Rust Check or No?

Hi all,

I have a 2001 GTi I purchased pre-owned in march. I was to lazy to worry about oiling it that winter, so I just left it.

Now as winter approaches, my gf's 1978 sage westfalia will definitely need coating - ontario winter, salt on roads, old van from the praries can't take it, blah, blah, blah. Rust check is not optional for this vehicle.

So...is it worth it to do the GTi at the same time?

My parents own a 1998 NB and 1999 Passat, neither of which have ever been coated. They both look pretty nice, even on the underside, where there is barely even any surface rust. This is after 4 and 5 years hard winter driving. Is this indicative of my not needing to worry about my GTi??

-AL

Reply to
Andre Levac

We have never oiled any of our cars, and they look great. Our Volvo has held up the best, but it is garaged and not driven much in the winter (I mean in snow, if the roads are wet or dry in the winter it is taken out... if the snow is still on the streets we exclusively use the VW's as they are front wheel drives) - it does get exposed to the flying salt like our VWs tho.

The 91 Golf has some fender rust (not bad) and a bit on the drivers side doors (where the two meet), again not bad.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have a 94 Jetta in the NE USA.

I took great car of the car and it is quickly rusting out EVERYWHERE, even the roof near the windshield.

Reply to
Dave

Visible seams. Or maybe a bad day in the paint bay.

And not Canooks. Canucks. We live in Soviet Canuckistan.

Reply to
Richard Potato

I suggest you to wait before adding some stuff because this will invalidate your corrosion warranty from the manufacturer.

"Andre Levac" a écrit dans le message news: bjilna$ei4$ snipped-for-privacy@knot.queensu.ca...

Reply to
Gilles Ouellet

Nope, my car is perfect, not a spec of rust, and its been thru 4 nice hard winters, loaded with road salt.

Reply to
Rob Guenther