Clunky Old Jetta

I have a 1988 Jetta and there's a pretty nasty clunkin/banging noise coming from the drivers side front wheel if I go over a bump. The suspension is new, the bushes are new, the ball joints are nearly new. The mechanic monkey has had a look and says he cant see anything wrong!

Any ideas?

Reply to
Ade Evans

Does it make the noise if you lightly apply the brakes when you go over these bumps?

If you give the tire a good kick, do you here a rattle? Turn the tires out before you stop (so the treads are facing you).

If you answered no and yes respectively, then there is something loose in your brakes. I had this problem and it drove me nuts! There is this little clip that holds the brake pad flat against the caliper (or something like that). When that pin goes, the pad will be loose and you will here a single loud "clunk" when you go over a bump.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
sonodude

Nope, breaks are just fine.....its a pretty big clunk though....sounds more serious that a lose thing....sounds more like a damaged or dangerously worn and clunky thing! Thanks for the advice though

Reply to
Ade Evans

My '85 Jetta made an awful noise when the wheel bearing wore out. Jack up the car so the tire is just a bit off the ground. Grab the tire at

9:00 and 3:00 and see if the tire feels loose. Other things to check include the CV joints and steering knuckle joints.

Tom

Ade Evans wrote:

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Thomas R. Burkholder

If the clunk started after you replaced all those parts, then I'd go through and tighten everything again. Start with the slotted nut above the strut bearing.

Reply to
John Rutledge

you have the tool and an air wrench, total time from hood up to down 10minutes. And that's with a beer break.

Reply to
Matt Anderson

Upper strut mount loose. Do you have any idea what that means or are you going to go to have to ask the mechanic, imbecile.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Jack up the front left corner, remove the wheel and feel the base of the spring, betcha it's broken, and the broken piece clunks as you drive.

Reply to
Phil Conroy