coolant leak, waterpump and timing chain

Some of the time, I am getting a rythemic noise when my car is started. It seems to come from the front right of the vehicle. I think that it may be my main waterpump which is also leaking a little so I am getting it replaced. The mechanic has told me to get my timing belt changed at the same time. But my 97 Passat VR6 has a timing chain. Should I spend the extra $100 to get the timing chain replaced? The original cost of the replacing the main waterpump is coming to around $400. I thought that the chains were permanent and will he also have to do my timing again if he changes the timing chain.

As well I have a very very small leak from my auxillary waterpump, the mechanic wants me to replace it too (along with the main waterpump) at a cost of another $200. Is it worth it or should I just add some more coolant every couple of months? The car has 85000 miles on it.

Thanks, Anwar Upal

Reply to
Anwar

$100 for a timing chain? Don't think so because you must remove the transmission to get to it! Figure about 10 hours labor for the job. Maybe your mechanic isn't knowledgeable?

Reply to
Woodchuck