Corrado steering rack

I need to replace the power steering rack on my 1990 Corrado. From what I could find, it seems that I need to -

  1. support engine (tranny too?)
  2. lower subframe
  3. remove rack

Can someone add more meat to the above, or point out any hidden gotchas? I've looked all over but cannot find a step by step guide anywhere. Anybody have detailed instructions, pics, or any other good advice?

Thanks in advance Eric

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Eric Mattle

yep, that's it(lol)!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Take this for however much you're paying for it, but when I pulled the rack out of my Jetta (which should be reasonably similar to the Corrado, I had to remove the subframe (although the book says you don't), and I did not support the engine. It was scary as shit, but the engine didn't go anywhere (btw, the tranny is bolted to the engine so its hard to support one but not the other).

Bottom line is you unbolt the the U-joint, and remove the two power steering hoses. I think there are one or two bushing/guides that have to be removed. Remove the outer tie rod ends from the caliper carriers, and then it slides out one side (with very little room to spare in any direction). I think rack rotation was required. You unbolt anything thats in your way as needed.

Bleeding was a real PITA. You bleed it by just constantly turning the steering wheel back and forth, but it was about a month of actual driving before it completely bled. You'll know its not bled when the steering suddenly gets real stiff on you and then goes back to normal.

Good luck...

Reply to
<no_spam