Delay in A5

VW is headed back to '80's and 90's, when over-long run of A2's knocked them out of the market. Why are they squandering their momentum? "Automobile" says A5's not due in US until '05. And no mention of Jetta.

Reply to
LostSoul

Knocked them out of the market?

The A2 was to date, VW's most successful water cooled vehicle. Perhaps there is a reason that you see so many on the road?

As for the A5s, get your head out of the sand. There is allot of information on the internet about the A5s.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

That's perhaps their fault. I have heard that there will be a Jetta version and for the first time it will share the Golf's front end sheetmetal (will look the same from the front).

Reply to
Matt B.

For the record, I own an immaculate A2 (bought new) w/186k miles, original clutch, unsoiled interior, etc. Still fit to go anywhere on earth w/paved roads. (Has no AC, however. Was a "stripper:" radio (no tape) and heater, only.

Reply to
LostSoul

And I to, am an original A2 owner. Well, original in the sense that my Mom bought the car first...however...275,000 km and it will take me anywhere I need to go!

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

"Automobile"

Reply to
Rob Guenther

me too !

'91 A2 Black GTi with 111K miles. Everything original except for the Scala alloys & Sony Xplod.

- Peter

Reply to
GTIce

noway wrote in a message:

"First time" Jetta will share front end sheetmetal? What about the last few years of the A2s?

Reply to
LEGolfer

few years of the A2s?

Ah true...forgot about that, but that wasn't a worldwide thing...only happened in North America.

Reply to
Matt B.

Actually, to be even more specific, it was primarily the U.S.. Canada had dual headlights on the Jetta GTX and GTI 16v

Reply to
Peter Cressman

And you think dual headlights were something found on A2 jettas outside N.A.? Or do I miss your point completely?

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

We eventually got dual headlamps on the GTI models (8V and 16V) too but it wasn't until near the end (halfway through the 1990 model year). The vast majority of our Golfs and GTIs had Jetta front ends. I had just kinda forgotted about that since most of North America was the exception and not the rule for this.

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.

Heheh...how'd I miss that! (appalled at my own grammar...)

Reply to
Matt B.

Well, the Jetta was/is more popular in the USA, cuz they hate hatchbacks down there, for some bizarre reason... they also don't seem to like wagons all that much... tho they love sport utes, no wonder all the new wagons have been jacked up...

Anyhow, a person in the US might think the Jetta was the bigger selling car everywhere, and say a Golf is nothing more then a Jetta with its back end chopped off, even tho it was the other way around back then.

Reply to
Rob Guenther
[a good example why top-posting sucks]

think so?

So what?

You wrote:

A2 Jettas had rectangular headlights, A2 Golfs had round headlights - dual or single - from the factory. That's true for all countries except N.A.. Thus only in N.A. there were A2 Jettas and Golfs equipped with the same headlights from the factory.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Wrong.

The Jetta GTX came from the factory with round headlights. Sold only in Canada.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

...and while top-posting still sucks Canada stopped being part of N.A. before the mid-80s?

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune