Kinda OT: Buying a motorbike over in the UK

Looks like I might be heading over to the UK in the next couple of months. The extremely tentative plan is that I am going over there with a mate and we are
going to buy a couple of bikes then head off to Eastern Europe and run amok. Any idea where I can look at some bike prices online?
--
Fraser

http://www.biketrader.co.uk
http://www.motorcyclenews.com

Thanks for that. Funnily enough the VFR800 is on my short list. Would be the perfect bike for what I am planning on doing. Is yours the VTEC one? I hear the VTEC ruined them.
Fraser
says...

Also, Fleabay, but like everything else, you pay your money, you take your chance.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
Fraser Johnston wrote:

I heard going 800cc, fuel injection and linked brakes ruined them.
--
Douglas

Bitchy ;-)
Depends on what you want.
Late model 750s are more sporting, 800s more comfortable and a bit smoother. Linked brakes are great if you have luggage and / or pillion.
Personally, I'd look towards the Pan European for a big tour.
says...

If you get something here, make sure it is a couple of years old. That way, once you get to eastern europe the spares wo't dry up totallly if anything goes titsup on a used bike.
You tend to find that "last years" model of vehicle from germany heads over into CZ and Poland etc to be the ordinary blokes run arround.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

I'm definitely thinking Jap, probably Honda. Boring but reliable. And less than 5 years old.
Fraser
says...

Might be better a couple of years older. They don't shift over the border for a while, once they get "too old" to be any good. You tend to find that apart from the "new rich", the average Czech is happy to run arround in anything either from the 90's or a Skoda. And it doesn't have to be a new Skoda.
Opel/VW/BMW old models tend to be popular car wise. I imagine that Jap bikes from the 90's or older will be popular and even an 80's Jap bike would be considered technologically desirable when the Native Jawa and CZ bikes used 1960's technology and Ural/Neval/Dnepr/MZ would have been the only imports allowed for about 30 years.
I imagine that all the modern brands would have dealer networks now and prices compared to the west would be very cheap, but I wouldn't like to say what spares availability would be like for the latest model.
Remember, it wasn't so long ago that in CZ, you saved for your car, ordered it, then recieved it 6 years later down the waiting list from the Skoda factory, made by political prisoners and then owned until you died, or it disolved. If you were very rich and well connected you could have your Tatra in 3years.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

I'd assume he wants something that's going to be quick, comfy and reliable.
To minimise the risk of issues - including knackered shocks and forks etc., it's best to stick to new-ish, low mileage stuff.
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk says...

Which can break miles from anywhere still, get crashed into and bend a fork/wheel or swing arm.
Then you find yes, you can get one from the Czech main dealer. He can order it in, their next shipment from Honda is due in in 3 months, and if you are lucky, the dealer might know how to fit it. Otherwise you take it to the shed round the backstreet where the guy with the biggest hammer will make it fit.
Any used bike except sometimes those bought from a dealer, can fail, and usually will, and usually as far from a modern support network as possible. The least gadgets, gismos and "technological comfort aids" you have the better.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

You don't know much about bikes, do you?
For a start, every modern Honda is supported by David Silver Spares, who can airmail anything you need within a couple of days - this is one of the major reasons for buying a Honda.
In terms of gadgets and gizmos, well, apart from the move towards EFI, which is infinitely better than relying on carbs., there really aren't any - unless you're talking cutting-edge litre bikes. (The VTEC VFR is the exception and a bloody good reason to avoid it).
Given that there is sod-all difference between the first VFR800 and the last pre-VTEC VFR800, buying the latest one you can afford makes a huge amount of sense. The same applies to 99% of bikes out there, other than the supersport litre category.
My VFR has done over 12k miles in my hands, needing nothing other than brake pads, a chain and annual oil changes. Unreliability is the least of the worries with one.
Even if Frazer went for a slightly older bike, do you really think there will be loads of 'em around in Eastern Europe anyway? - although, to be fair, I've been spotting increasing numbers of long distance tourers coming over from the former Eastern Bloc countries to experience mid Wales.
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk says...

It might make it to the Czech border, then it enters the black hole.
A mate runs an online business sending bits for old Skodas from CZ to the UK, you have a choice, either you wait until he comes over about 4 times a year, or he posts it. You will not get a promise that it will arrive, and you will not get a refund if it doesn't, and you may get to meet him next time he is over, to be told "I told you so" if you dare piss and moan about it taking months go appear. he always advises waiting until he is over next, as you will get it, and it might be quicker than post, he won't charge you postage for something you might never get.

With petrol down as low 87 octane in some places, how does EFI handle it?

If it was new in Germany 10 years ago, it will have hit CZ about 4 years ago. And a few will now be in the spares and breakers yards after being twanged by the deranged maniacs that make up the CZ driving population.
A blind bend means overtake, because you can't see the bus coming the other way. The czech MOT means if they can't see the fault, they can't fail it, so wrap it in tank tape/carpet/paint anything that will hide it. Tie a bag round a leaky brake pipe and they aren't allowed to remove it to fail it. Pay the tester 5 and he will not even see that you have covered it. With insane drivers and crap vehicles, accidents are plentiful, so loads of cars and bikes end up in the breakers with parts being "as much as you can carry for 10" ina lot of cases. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com

Which is obviously why DHL will do a guaranteed 24 hour delivery to the Czech Republic, along with most of the rest of Europe - ex. Eastern Bloc or not.

He needs to look at using more reliable and reputable services, then.

How does a carb. bike handle it? - even worse than an EFI bike, unless you want to take the carbs off and re-jet them every time you encounter a different grade of petrol.

Yeah, obviously the breakers yards will be stuffed full of broken 10 year old Jap bikes.
As I said - for most bikes, the differences between one model year and the next is purely cosmetic - so buying a 3 or 4 year old example would be by far the most sensible thing to do.

I fail to see your point - if you ride defensively, there is no reason for you to have an accident.
(Portugal has the most dangerous roads in Europe - I've done a couple of thousand miles on bikes and a few thousand more in cars over there without crashing, or even having a near-miss)
If you do, you get David Silver to DHL the bits you need.
You make it sound like a 3rd world country. It's not.
snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk says...

Actually it pretty much is that is why a lot of poles, czechs and latvians etc are making there way here now they are part of europe.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

Of course.
Which is why he really should buy an ETZ301 for the trip. Much more suitable.
Once you get outside the major conurbations of Portugal, it's equally as '3rd world', but you're never more than an hour or so away from a big city with all the usual things, and more, that you'd expect from a city in the UK.
Still doesn't change the fact that, if, by any chance David Silver couldn't DHL something to you, all you need do is phone your breakdown company and have the bike and yourself recovered to somewhere the bike can be fixed in a reasonable time.
Elder wrote:

Right, and how often does he use Guaranteed air freight services from UK to Czech? How reliable is that? How often does your mate have things disappear in the 'black hole' at the border when he's shipping things in?

I am almost certain that vehicles with EFI - even Japanese ones, Hondas probably - are sold domestically in Czech, and other markets where they sell cat-piss as petrol. I suspect they manage fine.
--
Douglas

says...

Well, Steve did say airmail, not guaranteed air freight. Big difference. And the chzech postal system is the weak spot. Not dishonest, just bad. Things go into holding areas, and stay there. Nobody looks at them again.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest
In

Don't you believe it.
The Czech postal system isn't that bad really. Worse than ours, but not much worse. I see parcels from Cz on a weekly basis, nothing much seems to go missing.
--
Pete M - Using the Scouse Side of the Force -
Golf GTi Mk2 2.0 8v

You've been lucky then. Big John used to send things. He won't now because of orders going missing and people who did't know him as well as others thinking he was a dishonest bastard.