diesel rabbit oil seal leak confirmation and seal replacement

I believe that I may have a leaking main oil seal ('front' or passenger side). Before I charge into changing the seal I would feel happier if I can make sure that the leak is not from somewhere else. I plan to clean the outside of the engine as much as is practical - any tips here?

Oil seal change concerns: I have looked in my Bentley manual. Some things that bother me are special tools that are called for (one tool to remove the old seal and another tool to press in the new seal). The other possible problem relates to unbolting the (small) timing belt sprocket from the crankshaft - the tightening torque specified is 110 ft-lbs(!).

To loosen the crankshaft bolt from a Toyota 22RE (after consulting published tips) I braced a socket wrench which held the crankshaft bolt and (after disabling the spark) hit the starter motor. PING! and it broke loose (whew).

I get the idea that there isn't a woodruff key to align the sprocket with respect to the crankshaft - instructions for replacing the timing belt include bracing the camshaft, the injector pump, and the crank (jam a large screwdriver into the teeth of the flywheel?!) I THINK THAT I HAD BETTER NOT DO THIS TO IMMOBILIZE THE CRANK WHILE REEFING ON THE CRANKSHAFT BOLT.

Thanks for any advice, Rob in Calgary

Reply to
Robert Young