Diff between Jetta GLX and GLI

Okay so i'm looking into the Jettas and I see that there are two differnet models im interested in. I know the GLX is the luxury model with all the bells and whistles, and I know the GLI is the sport model. But mechanically, what is the difference?

Reply to
waterboy44

Most years, GLX means VR6. Otherwise, GLX is the top of the line and may have all the GLI trimmings plus a few extra of its own. GLI is the Jetta version of the GTI Golf (Rabbit), which usually (but definitely not always) means a 16V motor and sport suspension, plus body trimmings and interior extras.

Reply to
Ears

There are no 16V engines anymore! Try again.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

What years are we talking about?

2004? Read here
dave AKA vwdoc1

Key words you may have missed: most and definitely not always. Cheers!

Reply to
Ears

If we're debating GLX vs. GLI, this is likely to be a MK4 Jetta in which case most of the above is correct. However the 16V part is not. The Mk4 GLI was initially a VR6 and was pretty much just a "sport" version of the GLX. However later in the Mk4 GLI's model run it was changed to the 20V

1.8T engine.
Reply to
Matt B.