Does VW still make a diesel car?

The title's the question: does VW still make any diesel engined cars or is that phase over?

Reply to
edfan

If you bothered checking

you would see that they haveseveral diesel cars in the US (although not all 50 states get them). Golf, Jetta, New Beetle and Touareg are all available with diesel engines.

edfan wrote:

Reply to
Randolph

Also, diesel Passats are now sold in the US. VW has been the ONLY company selling diesel cars in the US for several years. Mercedes-Benz recently resumed selling diesel E-Class in the US, but for years, VW's were the only diesel cars in the US.

In Europe, 30-40% of all cars are diesel, and all "mainstream" models have one or more diesel engine option.

Diesel cars are not sold in California, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Maine, but may be when low sulphur fuel becomes universally availble in the US..

Reply to
kokomokid

Isn't that what all the TDI engine versions are?

Reply to
Biz

Sure thing. Turbo diesels. In Europe they have several high performance engines available, but the US will have to wait until we get our fuel cleaned up, they don't run on the dirty diesel available in the US.

In Ireland last year most new cars sold were diesel as I recall.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Go to

and check them out. Then head on down to a vw dealer and test drive a new one. Then look at the fuel mileage figures. See here for details about hybreds.
Unlike the hybreds that get about 60% of rated mpg these actually can getbetter then what's posted. However when they are brand spanking new both thecar and driver must get broken in to obtain top mileage. I have averaged 46+mpg for over 113k miles on my 99.5 "new" jetta. JoBo PS: And it's not a "phase"!

Reply to
Jo Bo

I have to disagree with Connecticut... I see new TDI models buzzing around here all the time.

Michael

-- Have a round and remember things we did that weren't so tender, Let the train blow the whistle when I go... -JC

Reply to
Michael A. Vickers

make that 40 to 60%.... some countries went over 50% diesels some time ago...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski