ECM fried?

Someone crossed the jumper cables when attempting to jump my friend's Passat - after that, the car wouldn't start - VW dealership says that the ECM is fried - they wanted over $2000 - a Goodyear repair shop sends the ECM out for replacement (why would this take a week?), and the shop that is repairing the ECM (replacing a card or some of the chips?) says it can't find anything wrong.

I sense a screwing - any suggestions?

Reply to
No-Name

put a rocket ontop of the car and launch it into their garage then run like hell

Reply to
Joe

You need to be more specific...does the starter motor run etc??

Reply to
Andy Gingrich

Why be concerned by the cost... Goodyear is paying- correct? Just about everything electrical is polarity sensitive so you may have a lot more damage than just the ECM.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What year Passat? Engine, trans, etc. Might just be a fuse or two, were those all checked? Was all the wiring to the ECU/ECM checked? Was power getting to the ECU/ECM? BTW where did Goodyear send the ECU/ECM to? Can you find a good one to test?

dave

Thanks so much for your thoughtful, helpful response.

Reply to
No-Name

I was just detailing what you should do in the case of "sensing a screwing"

Reply to
Joe

I had an engine hesitation problem, and VW gave me the same horsecrap about the ECM being bad. It seems that is the modern day equal of we don't know what is wrong, but if we tell you it is a real expensive part, maybe you'll go away.

I am not sure if they actually know how to test an ECM. Mine was not bad.

If you really suspect a bad ECM, I'd check junk yards or check

Best would be if you could borrow one you know is good and see what happens.

Reply to
Tony Bad