96 Sentra; Where is the ECM?

I have a 96 Sentra with a 1.6 liter engine. I had the trouble code show up on the dash today as I was working on an overheating problem. I wanted to determine what the trouble code was by accessing the ECM and having the codes show on the indicator lamp. I checked my shop manual to find the ECM. It showed that it is located adjacent to the gas pedal in the left portion of the center console.

I tried to access the ECM this morning and I am having a great deal of trouble removing the plastic piece that covers the location of the item. I tried removing the radio and AC controls from the center console to access the ECM from the rear. Though I was able to remove both the AC controls and radio, I couldn't figure out how to remove what I think is the ECM to work with it.

Here are my questions:

  1. Am I right that the ECM is located where my manual says it is?

  1. If the location is right, how do I access it?

I would appreciate any assistance you may give.

Thanks, Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo