I think I saw a Golf V in Ontario

Was driving along Highway 400 in Ontario and in the opposite flow of traffic I saw a Golf with grey mouldings (dark grey on a silver car) on the bumpers and door panels, the mouldings were larger then the (body coloured anyways) A4 style ones... and the headlights looked a little different... couldn't really catch the tail lights (traffic got in the way, and I was doing 120kph in one direction, while he was going ~100+ in the other direction).... The kicker - it had a RED liscence plate on it - These are government plates in Canada... I've seen German envoys in Ottawa in G320's with the red plates.... a car that wasn't imported over here for sure... I'm thinking it was some european diplomat or whatnot going for a drive or something.

Another note - there was no DTRL's running on this car, all Golf's sold in Canada have them...

Think it's possible I saw a Golf V, anyone from Europe who's seen one, what do the mouldings on the body look like?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Check out

and see for yourself.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I saw a couple of A5 Golfs in Europe the other week. The tail lights have a distinctive round lamp within them, and the front hood is definitely shorter and more rounded, like a Toyota Echo or something.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

If it really had diplomatic (red) plates on it, then they can probably do whatever they want.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Could it have been a diplomat plate of some sort?

Reply to
Matt B.

Red Ontario plates is diplomatic corps. They can import whatever vehicles they want, tax free!

Reply to
wewu

Reply to
Rob Guenther