Eurovan Master Cylinder Replacement Problems

I have recently gone through several master cylinders on my '92 Eurovan.

The original failed in one of the cylinders, giving a long brake pedal. I got a rebuilt unit from Canadian Tire and that is where my fun began.

The first replacement failed in a couple of days by leaking from the master cylinder into the booster. I took it back and was told it was defective and got a replacement. One week later -same thing with the replacement.

Figuring that this was not a coincidence, I took it in for a mechanic to look at it. He couldn't figure out anything so he called a VW specilialist buddy of his. The story he got was that the rebuilt units almost always fail in the Eurovan - the seal they use is not up to the pressure. The solution get a new one from Volkswagen or good used one from a wrecker.

So be forewarned and save yourself some aggravation if you face the same job.

'92 Eurovan '90 Jetta '90 Fox '88 Fox '87 Cabriolet '78 Rabbit '72 Bus '72 Thing

Reply to
tall paul

I have had very bad luck with rebuilt parts, particularly those purchased at mass market retailers where price is the #1 issue.

John

Reply to
John Horner