Exhaust Gas odor

OK, ever since I've had this damn car, I've had this bad Gas/unburnt exhaust smell in the car. Always smells, especially when the car is warm, Windows
open or closed, heater fan on or not, high RPM or low RPM....
I've tried many things. Changed exhaust Manifold (old one was cracked), fixed all exhaust leaks, changed air filter, changed plugs, new 1 wire Oxygen Sensor, etc....
I've brought it to a couple of mechanics but no one can figure it out??
I've yet to check with VAG-COM, my next step, to see if there is a problem.
My car is a 1997 VW Golf K2, 1.8l, 8v, Canadian model.
Any suggestion would be helpful. I really want to get rid of this problem cause I pick up my 17 month old everyday from daycare, and I don't want to subject her to this harmful odor.
Steve
Is the tailgate seal good. The eddy behind the back will tend to force the exhaust gases back in.
Is the tank sender under the back seat? Any sign of leakage?
--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

exhaust
Windows
problem.
problem
If you had any leaks in the fuel vapor system the MIL would come on because of the L(eak)D(etection)P(ump).

leaks,
out??
want
Hmm, I'm not that familiar with LDP or MIL? Sorry, I'm a Chevy guy (2000 Camaro), new to the Dub community. I'm learning though, but I have to pick up a bentley sooner then later, the damn Haynes book I got is useless as a third tit!!
Thanks,
Steve

The Camaro went the way of the DO-DO bird. :) Welcome...

Haynes is okay, not great. I have both Haynes and Bentley which compliment each other.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Replace nospam with jetta for e-mail

Check the hatchback is closing and sealing properly. A small gap seems to draw in a lot of exhaust.
I'm not familiar with the 1.8 8v engine, but there is probably an an exhaust gas recirculation system to feed exhaust back into the inlet manifold to reduce NOX emissions. Check this hasn't come adrift. Also that the oil filler cap is closing correctly.
Charles
What about oil leaks or the crankcase breather system?

exhaust
problem.