Fix broken Trans mount?

Hey, I have a 82 Jetta with a 5 speed and deisel engine. It was in a minor accident and the end transmission mount broke off from the transmission housing. The mount is the one near the drivers side fender. I posted a pic of it at:

that will help. My question is: Can this be welded back? Or can I replace the back cover part of the trans, or should I be looking to replace it. Thanks for any help.

kevin

Reply to
Kevin

I vote for 'replace the back cover part of the trans'

But was anything else damaged?

dave

/Darryl raises hand to second that vote and similarly asks:

Reply to
Darryl

Well. I don't think anything else was damaged. The front motor mount was knocked out, but it just looks like that will just go right back in. So, I guess I will have to remove the trans to replace that back section? I started the engine briefly. And is it anything to fall out when I remove the cover, anything that I wont know how to put back? Oh, its a 1984, not 82. Thanks for the help.

kevin

Darryl wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
Kevin

YES something will fall out if you replace that cover! It's the shaft that all the shifter forks ride on. If that falls out, you're looking at a full tranny teardown - not fun.

I have several 5th gear covers, I can sell you one if you are interested.

Replacing the 5th gear cover is pretty straightforward: Raise the driver's side HIGH, drop the driver's side of the tranny by undoing the front and rear mounts, and let it lower slowly using a jack. When the 5th gear cover is clear of the fender well, remove 6 13mm bolts, and *carefully* pull the cover off - watch for that shaft! Use the old gasket over if it's not torn. Assembly is reverse etc. etc.

BTW replace your rear tranny mount too, it's probably damaged from the accident. About $15.

HTH

Ron

Reply to
Ron Pieper

thanks for the help and info. I have a cover coming that I think will work. Is there any trans oil going to come out of this area? Thanks again.

kevin

"Ron Pieper" wrote in news:yTcTc.33964$ snipped-for-privacy@fe37.usenetserver.com:

looking

bolts,

Reply to
Kevin

Yes; you will want to drain the gear oil. You'll need a 17mm hex key, Sears has 'em. Refill through the 5th gear cover plug while the car's still raised. Use 2 qts.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Pieper

With the car (and tranny) level, I fill through the speedo cable gear hole until it overflows out the plug on the 5th gear housing. Why didn't VW just use a simple hex-bolt for the drain plugs?

Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

I usually fill your way too, but because Kevin has the 5th gear hsg accessible, and (I hope) has the hex key, I recommended to spare him the hassle of removing the speedo gear (and the potential of losing the gear inside the tranny, where it gets chewed up and packs into everything).

And I know not why some notsobright VW engineer used the socket head plugs. He deserves a slap.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Pieper