Folding Rear Seat..

Can I install a folding rear seat into my '90 Jetta???

I have one from a 92 GTI......

Reply to
Pete Cressman

As long as the seats fit identically and the latching hardware from the GTI can be fastened to the Jetta in the same place on the body, you shouldn't have a problem. Check where the seats latch on the GTI. There should be some sort of catch that the mechanism in the seat back latches onto; one for each half of the seat back. If these catches can be removed and installed on the Jetta, you should be good to go. If not, I don't know what else to tell you. Good Luck!

Steve

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night"-- Bette Davis in "All About Eve"

Reply to
Oeberon

I am hoping you are not planning to cut out the metal wall between trunk and passenger compartment as part of this conversion!

Reply to
Tony Bad

No....I wasn't planning on it....I was just going to utilize the pass through.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I cut out the plastic that filled the whole where the armrest sits...hard to explain, but I think you know where I mean. It allows for small items to pass through, such as one pair of skis, or a fishing pole...but not terribly useful. That hole isn't really that big.

I just asked about cutting metal because I know someone who did that and it really compromised the rigidity of the car.

Reply to
Tony Bad

I would never cut that wall...it really is important for safety and rigidity.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

sits...hard

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yup!

Similarily, 4Motion Passat's and Touaregs don't have folding rear seats. The rear seat acts as a cross member to strengthen the body of the vehicle.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

OK, am I missing something here? Are there A2 Golfs with trunks? I thought Golfs were all hatchbacks and Jettas were all sedans? I have an A2 Golf and I have no idea what metal bar you are talking about?

Reply to
Biz

An SUV without folding rear seats!? Makes for a small cargo area. I wonder what VW was thinking with that design. Don't get me wrong, I think the Touareg is a beatuiful peice of machinery and would love to own one, but no folding rear seats!?! Inconceivable! ;)

Steve

"Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy night"--Bette Davis in "All About Eve"

Reply to
Oeberon

Yes they do!

Reply to
Woodchuck

The early production ones didn't.....As I recall, at the Touareg Revealed workshop I went to last summer, the instructor mentioned that the seats did not fold down. Rather there is a pass through...I guess things have changed since then...

Reply to
Pete Cressman