FREE MAF's

Got the word yesterday that the MAF's are getting a 7yr/70,000mile warranty. Not sure if it covers TDI's yet!

Enjoy everyone...

Reply to
Woodchuck

Tom Resi

Reply to
Rick

Covers all vehicles, regardless of engine....I posted about that a few weeks ago...

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Hey Peter,

Where can I get documentation of the years/engines/models covered? I've never had to deal with VW for recalls for my old A1 but I have a relative that just had the MAF replaced on their 99 Jetta and I'm sure that they would like to get their money refunded

Thanks Steve

Reply to
sehaare

It's not a recall but a change in VW warranty policy. Suggest they call VW and ask how to request getting reimbursement.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Steve,

Was it a 1999 new or old style Jetta?

The extended warranty does not cover the A3 body style Jetta. In terms of refunding their money, they will need to contact VW directly and supply their invoice for the Mass Air Flow sensor. My understanding is that VW is handling the issues on a case by case basis.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

every body I know with a '99 vw or later had problems with the MAF sensor most went bad just after rhe warranty was over and got fleeced accordingly' $400.+, all the static must have changed their mind. i thought all along that that should have been part of the emission control.

I heard that one can fix an maf by ceaning it with alcohol or a neutral spray cleaner, spilling oil on a hot engine or silicone wax in a carwash has caused trouble , can any one veryfy that?

i don't think there is a MAf on a TDI, which is the thing to buy anyways. i never heard of a TDI with a problem like that.

I just was in france, there about 1/4 of all cars sold are diesels. every filling station there has a diesel pump with "Gasol", ?gasoil? and they don't smell either. good luck, -karl-

Reply to
Karl D.

The price for the 99.5 up 2.0l has been about $40 for almost a year now at the dealer. I have heard non-dealer shops selling them for much more. And yes the TDI has a MAF but it really doesn't fail as much, but then again there aren't as many TDI's sold as gas cars.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for info. Replaced mine about 2 months ago. I will call VW and ask for a reimbursement.

7yr/70,000mile
Reply to
wjcimbri

LOL....TDI MAF's fail all the time up here...we sell about 20 TDIs for every

2.0L....

7yr/70,000mile
Reply to
Peter Cressman

Yep it was a new jetta she is checking her receipts now.

Thanks Steve

7yr/70,000mile
Reply to
sehaare

eh!... you Canadian's are lucky having so many TDI's. Down here I think it has to do with the emissions which keeps the import numbers low. Is it true you also have the TDI Passat too?

Reply to
Woodchuck

We have had the TDI Passat since 1997...It was dropped in 1999, but is being reintroduced to the Canadian Market in the next couple of monthes. It will be equipped with a 2.0L 134HP TDI-PD.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

The warranty extension is below.

However to get reimbursed for past repairs one needs to contact VW. They seem to handle it on "case by case" basis.

I guess that sales drop of 20% + bad publicity is having some effect.

What's next ? Water pumps? gear grinds? clutches? power locks? secondary air pumps?

Volkswagen is pleased to announce an extended Emissions Control Systems Warranty for Mass Air Flow Sensors for 7 years or 70,000 miles (115,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's original in-service date, on the following Volkswagen models. · 1999-2001 New Golf, New Jetta, New Beetle 2.0L · 1999-2001 New Beetle and Passat 1.8T · 1999-2001 New Golf, New Beetle, New Jetta 1.9L TDI · 1999-2001 New GTI and New Jetta VR6 2.8L · 2000-2001 New Golf, New Jetta 1.8T

The vehicle's original in-service date is defined as the date the vehicle was delivered to either the original purchaser or the original lessee; or if the vehicle was first placed in service as a "demonstrator" or "company" car, on the date such vehicle was first placed in service.

A VIN decoder matrix (card) is available in VESIS to assist you in determining which engine is installed in the vehicle.

To accommodate this extension, the Warranty Information Network (WIN) has been modified to allow warranty claims to be entered under Claim Type E1 for Part Identifiers 2445 or 2359 for the model, model year and appropriate engines. If the Mass Air Flow Sensor in the affected vehicles is already warrantable under the terms of the 7 years/70,000 miles, whichever occurs first, California Emissions Control System warranty, Claim Type E2 must be used.

Code the extended Mass Air Flow Sensor Emissions Control Systems Warranty claim as follows:

Claim Type: E1 or E2 (as applicable) Part ID: 2445 Gas Engine

2359 TDI Engine Use appropriate damage category and valid vendor code.
Reply to
Alex

What's next ought to be wheel bearings...at 50k miles?!?!?!?!

Reply to
Dermott

No... from what I hear it must be the ass burning issue with the seat heaters...

Reply to
Alex

i want one!

Reply to