Future of the New Beetle?

I have heard conflicting reports on the future of New Beetle production. Depending on who you talk to, there are those who say that the current

2006 facelift and engine upgrade will be the last, and that the New Beetle's production cycle will cease by 2010 or so, while others say that VW will make them indefinitely, as long as they sell. In the US, the NB sells a lot more than the Golf, and discontinuing a modern-day version of the world's most beloved car would make no sense to me. Does anybody know which is true?
Reply to
Sills

Haven't any idea, but you are correct about it selling much better than the Golf. I have never understood that; isn't the Beetle just a Golf with a body designed to kill rear headroom and storage? WHY is it so much more popular?

Reply to
Ted

I would question your news. I doubt if any auto maker is going to decide to drop a line five years in advance while making changes now that are not required. They may be considering it, but I am sure they are going to look at the sales over the next few years first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

People favor form over function. That's why 90% of the SUVs you see on the road have never and will never be taken off-road.

Reply to
tylernt

That and the fact that the original Beetle was loved by millions. To many older guys like me, the Beetle IS Volkswagen. I love seeing New Beetles sitting right alongside the old ones at VW shows, and I hope they remain in production as long or longer than the original.

Reply to
Sills

Polo with a new body, not a Golf.

Reply to
Drew Dekreon

Wrong, it is based on the Mk4 Golf. The current Polo shares it platform with the Audi A2, Seat Ibiza & Cordoba and the Skoda Fabia.

The Golf Mk4 platform was used by the Jetta/Bora, Audi A3 & TT, Seat Leon & Toledo and the Skoda Octavia.

The Golf Mk5 platform is used by the new incarnations of the Jetta, Audi A3, Seat Leon & Toledo and the Skoda Octavia.

Platform sharing is done very often, the resulting cars handle quite differently. I really like the new Octavia. Beautiful car with a lot of room and rides nicely (not to stiff and not to soft).

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder