glass removal and installation???

Hi again- Ok- so I am in the process of prepping my 83 rabbit for a fresh coat of paint (first time with such a project) so of course I am running into a few problems. There is rust damage along the inside of the rear hatch -but only around the glass seal. In order to even see most of the damage to fix it I am going to have to remove the glass. However I have no idea how to do that. Any one here have any ideas??? I realize that old glass is fragile and care must be taken. I can get a back up hatch at a junk yard for $25.00 if I do brake it or muss it up. ( it has the same rust problem as mine though- but in a little better shape). So I think I am set to give it a go. If anyone could give me any pointers and suggestions in this area I would be grateful. such as do I need to cut the seal off to get glass out, or is there a way to remove it without ruining the seal? Any special tools required? When the glass goes back in is it best to relace the original seal with a new one to ensure no leaks or is that unessasary?? Thanks.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Glad to see you got the ring loose on the mirror adjuster. I've removed the rear hatch windows on two rabbits I had and swapped them because the rear defoster wires in/on the one window was open. I started on the inside at one corner and pulled / pealed the gasket away from the frame and pushed gently outwards on the glass and continued helping the gasket away from the frame and pushing the (glass and gasket) out of the opening.. Once you get it going it actually goes easily. To re-install them : with the rubber gasket on the glass ,start at a bottom corner leaving a six inch leader and stuff a clothes-line rope all the way around the outer groove with another six inch of extra rope ending at that corner. Put the glass/gasket/rope in place from the outside and the rope ends sticking inside. Then with someones help of holding and slightly pushing on the glass , you from the inside pull on the ropes -- this lifts the inner gasket lip over the frame edge. continue all the way around pulling the rope(s) out. This worked for me , though it was not my first time on replacing glass this way.. windshields back in the stone age used the gasket rather than the rubber glue they use today. Neither windows/gaskets leaked afterwards.

Reply to
samstone

hmmmm So this is the poster with the remote mirror and the door panel. I did not read an update on that problem! I must have missed it! 8^o

Soapy water solution should help with the re-installation. I guess there is too much rust to just move that rubber away and treat the rust chemically?

Good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

To help it a little use some wax oil on the seal which also prevents corrosion.

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.epix.net...

Reply to
SFC

The non-glued type of seal didn't require any special tool other than a rope of small diameter...As a preliminary step, I would check the availability of a new seal.

Reply to
al

Thanks all for the help. I am pleased that it does not sound as if will be that difficult, (of course it could take a couple of tries). I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks again- you guys are great :)

Reply to
Chris

Hi again, Another question for all of you, The seal that is in my rabbit has the chrome strip insert (i forgot to mention that previously). Does this need to be removed from the seal before removing the glass??? If so do I simply just pull it out- Also I was thinking of replacing this chrome strip on the rear side windows as well- would it be necessary to pull the windows out to replace it or can it just be pulled out and a new one inserted? Thanks all- I really appreciate the aadvice you give, I can't tell you how helpful it has been.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chris , Sorry, i don't know , but it would be my GUESS that , yes the chrome can be removed first. If you can get the new side glass strips first and look at how it fastens/attaches you could get a really good idea, maybe? ? good luck - hope you're taking before/after pictures. Sam

Reply to
samstone

No, the chrome strip stays in the gasket as you remove the window. Easy? No. Tense? Yes. I have done a few windshields in air cooled Beetles and I removed the glass in my 84 GTI before painting. It is a one man job if you are creative. I recall using a bunch of blocks of

3/8" plywood for some reason. Maybe to help reinstall the Rabbit window.

I used some lift off tape for the side windows. It is plastic that wedges the gasket up for painting. When you get done painting you remove the lift off tape. The gasket stayed clean with no paint and some paint went under the gasket area so the paint looks better. I also removed door gaskets when I painted. I had sourced new gaskets before hand. It depends on how nerdy you want to be with your paint.

Reply to
Jim Behning

On Jul 3, 6:26 pm, Jim Behning wrote:

Yes, I would like to be nerdy (I am a self admitted perfectionist). Anything worth doing is worth doing right. However my pocket-book does not have a heap of money to do everything I would like, and I did price out new door seals- over $100.00 -so maybe not now. Why is it that seals are so bloody expensive- I had to pay about 60.00 for the hatch seal already. If anyone out there has a better source for cheaper seals- please let me know about it. Is it possible to remove the existing door seals without damaging them for reinstallation?? At the moment they have definate signs of their age and look rather fragile ( some bits are missing) so I am a bit hesitant to try to take them off. I was thinking of repairing them with some black silicone untill I can afford new ones. Thanks for the tips on painting around the seals- I will definately look into that tape. And am I right that what you said above means that in order to replace the chrome stripping the entire window must come out- new chrome inserted into the seal (while it is off the window) and then one can put the window back in. MMMMM- not what I was hoping to hear. I am not quite sure how confident I am with doing that to three windows. Also has anyone out there tried dying the interior dash and misc. other interior parts??? Mine is tan- however I would like it to be black. Any product suggestions or tips would be appreciated? I am a bit weary of just picking a product and hoping for the best. Thanks again and again.

-chris

Reply to
Chris

quoted text -

There is adhesive remover that any good paint shop should have along with lift off tape. If you are doing same color then removing windows and rubber might be excessive. I did all of that in an attempt to get tickety-boo.

My car did not have the chrome inserts so I did not have to deal with them. The seal does not have the insert groove on my car.

Jim Behning