Correct fluids for 2004 Passat

Just ought my wife a 2004 GLS (gas AT) passat and noted that the manual calls for 91 octane fuel. What happens when you use 89 or regular. Does it matter?

Also when it comes time to change oil whats the best? I use Amsoil on my 97 TDI based on advice and am not afraid to invest in that kind of cost if it really makes a difference.

-Tim

Remove backward SPAM for email response.

85 Golf GL (sold @ 135K) 97 Jetta TDI (Just getting broken in @ 125K) 04 Passat GLS (0K)
Reply to
Tim

Are you sure that does not say "91 RON" if it does then regular is fine. if it is a 1.8T i was not aware that they required 91 octane fuel. Spirited driving should be avoided if you are using regular gas. since turbo enginse have lower compression than NA engines (without boost), as long as you stay out of too much boost you should be okay. but dont take my work on it since your waranty depends on this.

Reply to
David Harper

According to recent TSBs and letters to owners, the 1.8L engine should use VW 502.00 rated oil in 5W-40. For the 2.8L engine, check the manual; it probably says 5W-40 with various ratings being acceptable. For the TDI engine, use only VW 505.01 rated oil.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

For the V6, it's 5W-40, VW 505.01, at least as of '03.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

The 1.8T uses 91 octane AKI. I've occassionally used 89 with no obvious performance hit and the manual doesn't say you can't, although they don't recommend it.

I've once thought of filling half a tank with 93 and the remaining half with 89 before to average it out. But I thought it was too much trouble.

Reply to
Juey Ong