Golf problem that has the experts baffled

I have a 2002 VW Golf E 1.4 petrol. About 2 months ago I noticed the tick over was quite rough -you could sit in the car at lights and feel it shaking. Occasionally the Exhaust emission warning lamp came on. Before getting booked in to a garage the warning lamp stayed on all the time and occasionally the engine would just cut out completly. The first garage changed a couple of filters - not sure which - charged a small fortune - and when the problem continued and we returned they did'nt know what was wrong. We then went to Lucas who said it was a couple of faulty coils - paid for them to be replaced but by the time we got it home it was shaking again and cutting out. They do not know what it is - they now want to do a compression check for another =A350. It is starting to really get me down. Does anyone have a suggestion that I can put to Lucas? - I've read the past posts and wondered if it could be the Lambda probe but surely this would have shown up on the diagnostic computer? or perhaps the mechanics would have been able to suggest it. Any help would be much appreciated Thanks

Reply to
deemar54

Do any of these places have the equipment to read and interpret the car's data logger's data? It would seem that one would need that before just changing things on a hunch.

Reply to
Robert J Carpenter