Grinding noises in Cabriolet

The other day while 2 miles from my house my shift linkage rod popped off while in 4th gear. I managed to get the car home but did rev the car up a bit. I replaced the shift linkage rod and all shifts fine. However, now there is a noticeable grinding noise in the front end when you get over 30 MPH. If I keep the car accelerating it goes away but if I let off the accelerator it really grinds. Does this sound like a CV Axle issue or maybe transaxle? Any thoughts are appreciated.

90 Cabriolet 1.8L, 5 Spd. Mac
Reply to
Type 3 Man