Hatch latch

Hi;

I have a 86 GTI... not exactly sure when the rear latch stopped working, but we are no longer able to lock the hatch.

I took out the 2 big screws today to look at it and I can't figure how the rod from the lock attaches to it.

I ordered a new part at the vw dealer... cost me $23 so that's not too bad, but when it comes, I need to figure out how to disconnect the rod from the latch so I can replace the latch (which does seem tweeked).

So... anyone know how does the rear hatch lock rod attach to the latch?

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote: : Hi;

: I have a 86 GTI... not exactly sure when the rear latch stopped working, but : we are no longer able to lock the hatch.

: I took out the 2 big screws today to look at it and I can't figure how the : rod from the lock attaches to it.

: I ordered a new part at the vw dealer... cost me $23 so that's not too bad, : but when it comes, I need to figure out how to disconnect the rod from the : latch so I can replace the latch (which does seem tweeked).

: So... anyone know how does the rear hatch lock rod attach to the latch?

Just thought i'd try this request once more

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Doesn't that rod fit into a hole and plastic clips hold the ends in place? Clip is usually inserted into the hole first then the rod. Clip then pivots and snaps over the rod.

OR one end of the rod snakes into a hole and the other end gets clipped.

Reply to
One out of many daves

One out of many daves wrote: : Doesn't that rod fit into a hole and plastic clips hold the ends in place? : Clip is usually inserted into the hole first then the rod. Clip then pivots : and snaps over the rod.

: OR one end of the rod snakes into a hole and the other end gets clipped. : -- : later, : dave : (One out of many daves)

Well... I dunno... ended up asking the dealer to do it while they were doing a oil change... they grumbled a bit, but now we can lock the hatch again...

I played with it for a while... took a lot of torque to loosen those two bolts... but I could never figure out how to get the rod disconnected, and then I started thinking the rod was prolly disconnected from the lock at the other end too... it was easier to pay the dealer... < $90 for oil change and repair (I did send our own 5 qt jug of mobil1 15w50 oil though).

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing