Town & Country Rear Hatch Concern

Folks,

My 2002 Town and Country LXi has been acting up in a way I can't quite resolve. It doesn't happen often but happens enough to be concerning.

Once when I attempted to use the keyless entry control to put the hatch down, the hatch went half way down, stopped and closed the locking mechanism making it very difficult to figure out how to close the hatch.

I've also had this locking mechanism (the latch) close on me several other times before resulting in the hatch trying to close but not being able to when the latch rams into the post it's supposed to close around.

In each case I've had to resort to several guesses as to how to undo this. I turn the van on, hit the various buttons, try to manually the door and then, eventually, something gets the latch to open again, allowing me to close the hatch.

Any ideas? Is it just standard user error?

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

mic canic

Mine did that once. If you use the manual lever ( above the license plate) as you would do to open the door manually it will open the locking mechanism.

Reply to
Kevin

I could have sword I tried that and failed. I'll make a note to try this first next time.

I also had ONE isolated case where I hit the button for the hatch to go down and it went down about 1/3 of the way and just STOPPED DEAD and then closed the latch. That got me thinking that maybe some sensor was off.

Reply to
Rich Heimlich

----------- Have also had hatch problems on my '03, a bit different, but maybe related ? ? SOMETIMES when I attempt to open remotely, it will try to open, click and jiggle a bit and just open itself an inch or two. When I again push the remote, it will go through and close and lock. Then I again use the remote and it opens just fine. ONly does this once in a while, doesn't seem to be any particular sequence that causes it to happen. Not a huge deal, but certainly doesn't seem to be the way it should work and would be nice to resolve the problem. Of course the dealer was of no help at all. He tried the remote, it opened just fine, and then said no problem ! Zork

Reply to
Zork