headlight trouble

HI-- MY '97 JETTA HAS DEVELOPED A PROBLEM. AT NIGHT MY LOW BEAMS WILL FLICKER, AND THEN GO COMPLETELY OUT. I THEN HAVE TO FLICK ON THE HIGH- BEAMS UNTIL I SEE THEM REDUCE IN INTENSITY, AND THEN I CAN SWITCH BACK TO LOW BEAMS. THIS MORNING ON THE WAY TO WORK I HAD TO USE THE HIGH BEAMS MOST OF THE WAY. WHEN THE LOW-BEAMS FAIL, THE BRAKE LIGHT ON THE DASH ALSO COMES ON UNTIL I SWITCH TO HIGH-BEAMS--- ANY IDEAS? THANKS---SCOTTY

Reply to
beerboy47

Joseph Gliebe

I would start by checking out the ground wires, Next would be the switch, the dimmer switch and the clock spring.

BTW ALL CAPS are difficult for most people to read. They are also considered as shouting and some people will take offence.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan