Extended Warranty types for VW TDI

Hi- Here is a quick question. Any favorite extended warranties out there for the TDI? I'm starting to shop around for one and would be interested in OP suggestions. Thanks.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Before you decide to buy, consider that they typical extended "warranty" is first really just an insurance policy and that about 50% of the price you pay goes directly to the seller(s) of the policy. The remaining 50% has to cover administrative cost and repairs. Most people will be better off financially by not buying. Also keep in mine they do not cover all possible cost.

However if the security of having coverage and if the policy really does provide security and is backed by a reliable company, then it may well be a good buy for you. Clearly some are better than others and it certainly appears you are trying to do your homework, which indicates you are on the right track. Sorry I don't have any information on specific policies.

I do seem to recall that Consumer Reports did report on them not long ago. You might try doing some research on them. Many public libraries keep copies of Consumer Reports.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi Joseph.

Your response is very well appreciated and an excellent synopsis of what is going on. I would like to add that these extended warranties now seem to be more liberal in terms of mileage and age on the car. That said, my Father doesn't drive much and is well under 50K when it comes to mileage. Also when the time comes switching the warranty over to my Mother or myself whatever the case may be. It would have to be able to transfer to another owner for a small fee.

The next step was to weed out the bad brokers. The bbb.org site did this well. Believe me, there are some hard sell brokers with high BBB complaints.

After I found a broker I was willing to work with, I got a couple of quotes which were a powertrain or a drivers choice warranty. They were both pretty reasonable but the PT one did not do the AC and the DC one did not do the turbo. The PT one also didn't allow a transfer for some reason. I have to double check on that.

I will check out the consumer reports which I believe my parents have a copy of since they have been getting that for a long time. I try not to do anymore magazine at my home. My GF controls all the paper input here and I try to get her to get rid of it.

So I am back to finding more input and thoughts regarding TDI.

-pp

Reply to
Peter Parker

So how much does this extended warranty cost and how many miles and years? My 2003 TDI with almost 180,000 miles has been fairly low maintenance.

Intake manifold cleaning when doing 100,000 mile timing belt. On my TDI I recall changing an EGR valve. The only other major repair was my injection pump sprung a leak. I changed a $9 o-ring in the pump. That o-ring change took me an hour to do but is not an official VW repair. Only wise VW mechanics know about it or attempt it. I do not think since it is a sanctioned repair that a VW dealer could do it. They would have wanted $2,000 or so to replace the pump with a new or rebuilt one.

Reply to
Jim Behning