1998 Jetta TDI no start no glow no MIL

1998 Jetta TDI, Crank, no start, no glow indicator, no MIL. Load reduction relay 109 swapped with new spare. Swapped relays marked 53, both work. No change. Physically checked fuses, reseated fuses and relays. Battery connections clean and tight.

Bentley wiring diagrams and such are somewhat different than the configuration the vehicle has, relay numbers and function not always correseponding with reality

The glow/mil indicators occasionally come on when cycling the key multiple times or poking at fuse/relay block, car will start and die within moments. I'm assuming that it's a relay failure but without accurate wiring diagrams, diagnosis is particularly difficult. I've identified a few of the relays as standard systems, some of the others remain a mystery.

Anybody have a clue where to get accurate diagrams and any ideas/experience on the symptoms?

Here's a table of what I have in what position Looking at fuse block, regular fuses on bottom(not shown), undocumented fuses on top(shown).

x 15a 10a 50a x x x x 173 180 53 x

94 x 109 18 x 191 x 196 key x 53 x

Top row, positions doc'd as 19-24

15a 15 amp fuse undoc 10a 10 amp fuse undoc 50a 50 amp fuse undoc, glow plug feed

Second row, positions doc'd as 13-18

173 undoc 180 undoc 53 undoc

Third row, doc'd as 1-6

94 Book says HVAC, 13 109 ECM load reduction, replaced with new. 18 Book says load reduction. 191 turn/hazard book says 21

4th row, doc'd as 7-12

196 wiper, book says 19,99 key seatbelt, key warning 53 horn
Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Temperature sender?

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Replaced last year. Key on: No MIL, no glow indicator, other indicators act normally. Suspects: relay, ignition switch, ECU, immobilizer if equipped. #30 battery bus in relay center has power, all systems in car seem to have power. Unable to locate a point to check #15 (got minor frostbite, gave up) switched/relay powered circuit, not even sure how the ECU is triggered by the ignition switch. Wiring diagrams are just plain wrong for this car. Does anybody have an accurate map of the relay center and their control numbers? The car also has factory alarm, so I assume it has the immobilizer function, does anybody know if the immobilizer cuts the MIL indicator when active?

Reply to
Tundra Wookie