Help! volkswagen monsoon amplifier problem?

Hi guys,

I'm new to this so I will try to make it short. I recently bought a 2000 VW jetta with, I think, a monsoon stereo in it. It does not say monsoon on it and it does not say monsoon when you power it up, but it has 8 speakers, the amp and the the HU with tape deck and cd player with cd changer hook up. Anyway the rear speakers were not working so I had the HU removed to discover the wires to the amp were cut, so I reconnected them and like magic they began to work again. Once I turned the car off then back on the speakers cut out so I reconnected it again and they once again began to work, so I left it alone. I than went to turn the car on the next day and the battery was dead, I reached around to the trunk compartment to feel a warm amp that was probably running all night long. Does anyone know if this is a wiring problem or an amplifier problem, or maybe a HU problem. Please help me on this...I am ready to rip the entire stereo out and tie it to my bumper and drag it down the street. Thanks,Mike

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

I have seen "VERY FEW" amps stick on, but first you must make sure you got all the wires on the HU correct.

Reply to
Woodchuck

All the wires I reconnected were color coded, so I just match them up and tested them individually. They all worked fine.

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com

Could a previous owner have done a hack job with an aftermarket stereo, then did a hack job to put the original stereo back in when s/he sold it? If so, you're now stuck trying to fix the hack job.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

This could be true, since the front stereo speakers were wired directly to the HU and not from the existing amplifier.....which does not make me very happy.

Reply to
Mike via CarKB.com