Hey Woodchuck...

Posted a small problem about the automatic shifter not coming out of park when the break is stepped on. There may be operator error here in that we are trying to shift out of park to early... but if not, is it difficult to replace the components.. I assume a switch attached to the break someplace??

any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks

Scott

Reply to
Scott C

Presently I'm working on a 2003 with the same type of problem. The brake switch is OK, the light goes out, the solenoid clicks but the shifter will not come out of "P". I'm replacing the solenoid and locking pin as I think they are sticky, especially since it's now cold here.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Please let me know your solution.. and do you know if this is a common problem?

thanks

sc

Reply to
Scott C

I had this problem in cold weather on my 93 Eurovan automatic. It was the grease on the shift lever. All that was necessary was to loosen slightly the large bolt holding the shifter assemblie together.

Joe R

Reply to
Joe R

Will do, but it's not a common thing as I see about 3 or 4 per year mostly at the beginning of the cold season, and normally on new low miles cars.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I replaced the shift lock solenoid which fixed the problem

Reply to
Woodchuck

Difficult to do? Rough cost? time?

thanks

sc

Reply to
Scott C

Warranty time is about 2 hours and it's not that hard to do. The manual states one should remove the shifter assembly from below but I don't do that. What I do is remove the console, remove the handle and covers, and try spraying a little silicone on the piston(lock pin) that gets pulled by the solenoid. The see what happens. Otherwise the solenoid will then need replaced if it sticks again.

Reply to
Woodchuck