Re: Golf VR6 or BMW528?!!!!!!! Stop the bashing!

Steve Grauman said the following on 11/10/2003 4:51 PM:

[snip]
Edition GTi, but sadly he can't fit in either car. He's highly interested in > Honda's new Accord V6 coupe', and I had him drive a slightly used 328Ci for > comparison. He loved the way the 3 series drove, but refuses to buy it because > of the stigma attached to BMW's. It's a sad state of affairs that these great > driving machines carry such an awful auroa with them, but oh well.

I think there's a lot of BS too - if you like the damn car, buy it! _I_ usually buy things that _I_ like, not that somebody else likes. It's a sad state of affairs that many people these days model their tastes after the majority, what TV puts in their heads, etc. If _I_ could afford a 2001 740iL, that's what I would be driving.

My preference > would be to go for the Golf VR6, but this is going under the assumption that > you're comparing the brand new 200Hp Golf to the 190Hp 528i. If what you're > looking at is the older 174Hp VR6, than the BMW would probably be the better > performer of the two.

So in the end it all comes down to horsepower. Handling and all that other stuff - throw it out the window. If car A has 10 hp more than car B, take car A. Of course, if you are referring to the older version of car A, which only made 174 hp, then by all means take car B! LOL

I currently drive a VW and I drove MB, Nissan and Infiniti before, and I almost bought a 750iL in '97. I think it's silly to bash another brand when there is nobody to defend it - the same probably happens in other brands' ngs. If you want to get into a heated argument, go to the BMW ng and bash BMW there (tell it to their face). Bashing them here is weak, because mostly everyone here is borderline-indifferently gonna go along with you, with the exception of a few that feel the need to vent some anger..

Reply to
An Metet

I agree. My first decent car was an 84 GTi. Since then, I owned a Jetta, a Fox, then a 325i, a 533i, and now a 735iL as well as a 90 Golf. Different cars have different applications. VW makes a great car.... so does BMW. After all the vehicles I have owned (the above and a Nissan PU a chev 4x4 extended cab, Honda civic, Toyota corolla, and also currently drive a Pathfinder ) some vehicles are transportation/utility, some I really miss, some I regret. What stands out the most was my GTi. But get married and have a family and your priorities change. That seven holds 3 adults and two kids in car seats! Not to mention the trunk holds a fold up bassinet, diaper bags etc and that includes room for the sub! Now the golf.... poor driving conditions, icy roads, snow, bring it on!

will