High pitched sound 02 Passat 1.8T

Went over to Georgia for a wedding this past weekend and noticed a highed pitched sound when going up hills at 70-75 in our 02 1.8T Tip Passat. When the car made it to the top of the hill, the sound went away. I turned the cruise off and found that lifting my foot from the accelerator when going up hills would also make the sound quit. Therefore I am wondering if there is a leak in the turbo or induction system somewhere or whether it's a normal turbo sound that I just hadn't heard before. The sound had a constant pitch and I could just barely hear it. In fact I could only hear it on very smooth quiet asphalt surfaces. Thanks!

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

My 99.5 Golf TDI's 5 year old turbo whines under certain conditions, exactly like the ones you have described... 120ish kph steady up a hill it will whine ever so slightly... Under hard acceleration I can hear it start to whine, but its louder and not as high a frequency, but the diesel clatter takes over at this point as the main source of noise ;-).... I also start to hear it around 140kph and up - constant very low volume high pitched whine....... I've learned to love it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther