Which Passat engine? 1.8T or V6?

Which engine is the best for a 5M Passat? Does the V6 offer benefits that are worth the extra $2000? Does it offer the same powerful low RPM torque the 1.8T has?

Reply to
lcopps

are worth the extra $2000? Does it offer the same powerful low RPM torque the 1.8T has?

I'd go for the V6...I'm still not a turbo fan (for overall reliability purposes) and a car in the Passat's class should have a V6 sound coming from under the hood and not a 4-banger sound.

Reply to
Matt B.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Well, most people will tell you to get the V6 since it's more powerful and quiet than the 1.8T. However, the bad news is that in most cases you will have a hard time finding a V6 that isn't a $28,000 GLX. Apparently you can special order a V6 in a GLS, however. But, for what it's worth, our 2002 1.8T Passat with Tiptronic is quiet and plenty powerful for me. It's especially good in 50-70 mph acceleration. So far, the 1.8Ts seem to be quite reliable and are said to be cheaper to maintain than the V6 - which has four oxygen sensors, by the way.

Bill snipped-for-privacy@cvm.msstate.edu

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

maintain than the V6

So far, yes, but it'll be interesting to see how long the turbo lasts.

Reply to
Matt B.

Mike Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Fortunately I don't drive in that kind of traffic. It's never gotten below

19 in local driving. If it got 12 - 13, I think it would be time for a Prius.
Reply to
Paul

I drove both, intending on getting a V6 GLS (which they didn't have) so I drove a GLX manual and a GLS 1.8t manual, and to my complete surprise I liked the 1.8 better. sure it is a little noisier and less refined, but the V6 didn't feel like it was worth the $5000 premium for the GLX. if it was the VR6 from the Jetta GLI then maybe but that 90-degree Audi V6 seemed rumbly and rough and did not have the low-end response I expected; it drove as if it was annoyed at being asked to do something besides loaf along. I'm guessing in a race the 1.8 would pull ahead of the V6 but I could be wrong (and no I'm not racing anyone, I'm just saying).

so I got the 1.8t 5M. I get about 26-30mpg with it, so far. there's only a 20hp difference, though the V6 on paper has better low-end torque, which neither engine has in abundance plus Passats are pretty heavy. natch the one I really wanted, a W8 6M, was a blast to drive but I couldn't justify that much money.

no regrets over getting the 1.8 at all (a few over not getting the W8 but whatever :)

Reply to
Joon

Take the 1.8T if you're looking for performance. The 1.8T Passat Tip will do

0-60 in around 8.0 seconds (7.4 or so with the 5 soeed). The V6, for some strange reason, takes closer to 9.0 to hit 60MPH. Doesn't seem to make sense, because the B5 A4 2.8 with the added weight of Quattro could pull off 0-60 in 6.9 to 7.1 but, who knows?
Reply to
Steve Grauman

isn't the V6 in the current A4 a 3.0? I think the Passat 2.8 used to be the V6 option in the A4 a few years back.

Reply to
Joon