How reliable are the new Passats?

USA Today reported low quality ratings for vw. While consumer reports looks good for 2003 they say to average the last three years which isn't good.

Reply to
Cliff Eng

My 2 year old toaster just died and "CR" ranked it high! Back to your question, the Passat is the most trouble VW model to date.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

We've had three:

2001 2004 v6 2004 tdi

All perfect from the mile 1 (the 2001 was a total loss collision at 50K miles; the v6 was traded for the tdi at 11k miles). zero defects on any of these three cars.

Reply to
justonedatapoint

We have a 2002 GLS 1.8 Tiptronic. Only problems have been:

  1. Recall to replace coils
  2. Monsoon replaced (would die but recover if fuse pulled/reset)
  3. Replaced 2 passenger side headlight bulbs (low beam)
  4. Leaking camshaft adjuster cover

All fixed under waranty except one headlight bulb. The car is a joy to drive. We love it. I'd like to have one of the new TDIs, but the timing isn't right since next year is the last year for the B5.5 (AFAIK).

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

Yes, I bought a Panasonic VCR because CR said they were the most reliable. WRONG! Nothing but trouble, finally junked it after 3 repairs (this was several years ago when a good VCR was $600).

jp

Reply to
Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder P

I've got a 2003, purchased in November 2002. About a month ago the coolant temp sensor went south causing a MIL. It's been flawless other than that, and definitely the highest-quality car I've ever owned. (Well, OK, the right front speaker grille rattles a little under heavy bass... ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith