How to change/ replace transmission fluid on a 96 Cabrio?

I tried looking for the dipstick but theres none. we recently purchased this car and it has about 97k miles. I didnt ask the previous onwer and i dont believe that he changed the fluid on the tranny. the tranny slips a lil bit, so i have been trying to figure out the level of the oil and the possibility of replacing the fluids.

has anyone had this experience? if so please HELP!!

Reply to
Jett81

I don't know because I don't own that model year Cabbie. However, a Bentley service manual should answer your question. Another excellent source for questions like yours is the VWvortex forums.

Reply to
Papa

On the later generations, you check the auto trans oil level from under the car, by first warming it up to a certain temp and then removing a plug under the tranny -- if the oil just drips out, then the level's good, if no oil comes out, it needs to have some added. It's not the most convenient way to do it, for sure, but VW believes that the trans is a rare-maintenance item, never needing replacement, so I guess they felt no need to make it simple.

As someone else mentioned, get yourself the Bentley manual, it answers all your questions.

Reply to
Brian Running

thanks for taking your time and responding ! im gonna look into the bentley manual

Brian Runn> > I tried looking for the dipstick but theres none.

Reply to
Jett81

There is a manual available on eBay for $64 Here:

| thanks for taking your time and responding ! | im gonna look into the Bentley manual

Reply to
JohnH