06 Jetta, a/c defogger?

What is it that does not allow the A/C compressor to run when below a certain temp?

Want to run the A/C when the heat is on to dehumidify,and clear the windows, as I do on my 98 GTI.

thanks gary

Reply to
gary556

ambient temperature around 40*F or less the compressor will not run.

Your 98 should kick off about the same

that's to prevent compressor damage when cold.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

What kind of damage, and is it due to the compressor being physically too cold, or ??

thanks gary

Reply to
gary556

Never saw a compressor which did fail because of it running when too cold, but my guess the compressor oil is just to thick when cold and causing internal damage.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

That's right -- it's just like your home's central AC compressor, you can't run it until the outside temp goes above a specified temp, usually

50 deg F. Below that temp, the refrigerant won't vaporize properly, stays in liquid form, and the parts in the compressor that are designed to pump gas can break if they are forced to pump liquid instead.
Reply to
Brian Running