How to take out bent valves

Hi,

I am fixing my 91 Passat. I took the cylinder head out, 4 intake valves are bent, I want to replace these. How do I take them out? Seems that a valve keeper is holding them but this is just a guess. Or is it just a matter hammering them out?

Dimag

Reply to
dimag

more on to this: I purchased Craftsman spring compession tool. trying to get a bent valve out and it does not even move. What do people do in this case? Does anybody go after a job replacing bent valves once pistons hit them or just buy a new cylinder head from a wrecker? my timing belt pulley froze, ripped a few teeth from the new timing belt and here is the outcome... Dimag

Reply to
dimag

Then WHY did the Timing Belt Pulley Freeze or Seize UP? Usually the timing belt is older than 40K miles and loses some teeth or breaks. :-( (BTW I recommend changing these timing belts every 40-50K miles) You will have to compress the valve springs to release pressure on the keepers. Are you planning on replacing the valve guides also? I have usually taken my cylinder heads over to a GOOD machine shop and let them do the work.

Got a repair manual like a Bentley?

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Reply to
Regal53

Reply to
Jim Behning

Because the guys that did the job of replacing the old timing belt did not replace the tensioner pulley. So the new timing belt that they put in broke with 5000 miles on it. From now on I am doing the repairs myself.

Reply to
dimag

Thank you! Will follow the procedure today

Reply to
dimag