1985 4Runner 22re valve tapping

I have about 5000 miles on a newly rebuilt 22re engine. I'm getting a tapping noise from the valve in the back on cold start. The noise almost entirely goes away once engine is fully warmed up. Is this something I should worry about? Is there something I can do to quiet this down?

Thanks Bryon

Reply to
TOYMN8R

Have you checked the valve lash yet ?

Reply to
Mike

What is that?

Reply to
TOYMN8R

The valves are adjustable on that engine. The specs are on a sticker under the hood. Sounds like one or more are adjusted a little on the loose side.

Reply to
Mike

2 possibilities.

The valves need to be gapped to 0.008" on the intake side and 0.012" on the exhaust side.

If this doesn't eliminate the tapping then you may have a bent valve stem. This is a pretty common problem with 22R's. The stem of the 4th cylinder intake valve gets bent slightly when tightening the main head bolts after a head gasket replacement.

Try gapping your valves first. If the stem is bent it will require the removal of the head and the valve will have to be replaced by an automotive machine shop.

Gapping the valves is a bit tricky to figure out the first time.

Any Toyota truck repair manual will show you how to gap the valves.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler